If you have read my November goal, you know that this month I will be focusing on trying to eat my 5 portions of fruit and veg a day. Charlie is also on an eating plan reset for November and pledged to eat 10 portions of fruit and veg per day. We were having a conversation about it on Twitter when Mike from Bubalu said that I could come to their store so he could give me tips/advice on how to reach my goals. I did not hesitate and went there 3 days later.
Bubalu is a fitness cafe where you can grab some food, a coffee and also attend fitness classes. I immediately liked the atmosphere, the music in the background was chilled and not too loud and I like shops with an open kitchen.
I had a good chat with Mike about my goals and how fine tuning my nutrition can help me. Here are his top tips:
- Stay hydrated. Drink water first thing in the morning and before going to bed.
- Train 3x a week and do your hardest workout on a monday so it’s done and out-of-the-way.
- Don’t skip rest days, they are as important as your workouts
- Change your exercise routine every 4 weeks to keep challenging yourself
- Keep your food clean and simple. It’s 80% about nutrition and 20% about exercise.
- Focus on eating a good amount of protein
- Meal prep in order to stay on track with your diet
- Plan your workouts around your meals so you do not miss the best window post workout to re-feed and replenish your body
- Smoothies and soup are a great way to have more than portion of fruit and veg.
I really enjoyed our conversation. Mike is very knowledgeable. From my own research/medical background, I get really annoyed when PTs give me non-accurate scientific facts and I dislike advice on fad diets or even more so “detox”. There was none of that. Only very sensible advice, most of it I probably already knew. However, what makes all the difference is that I now feel accompanied and ready to apply these changes. Mike’s advice were all adapted to my lifestyle and not “cold” like when you read them from a magazine. For instance, I have been trying to cut down on meat so Mike gave me some great ideas on lentil recipes or how to make a tasty dip with plain yogurt (better for you than mayonnaise).
If you do not know where to start with your fitness routine, or like me want advice on how to take it further, go to Bubalu. If you are not in Bristol, still check their website out as it is very resourceful. I have already signed up to my Uni gym and unfortunately Bubalu is a 45 min walk from my house so I would not go regularly. However, they offer over 35 classes a week so I will probably go from time to time to do some work (they have wi-fi), enjoy a smoothie and then go to a workout. Sounds like a plan for a productive afternoon, doesn’t it?
Students, you will be pleased to know that there is a 5% student discount on food and drinks and also a £5 lunch and drink deal between 12-2pm. Bubalu, 79-81 Gloucester Road, Bishopston, Bristol BS7 8AS Twitter Facebook The Food menu